HISTORY OF THE E. STUART HOWARD HOUSE AT 301 W. OREGON
The E. Stuart Howard House: A History
The E. Stuart Howard House is located at 301 West Oregon Avenue in an area historically known as North Central Phoenix. The property consists of a single-story Ranch Style house on a 9,862-square-foot lot. The house plan is U-shaped with approximately 1,479 square feet of living space. Aligned on a north- south axis, the central portion of the house is the living room, flanked on the east by the kitchen and a two-bay garage and on the west by two bedrooms and a bathroom. The foundation of is concrete, and the walls are exposed adobe, with the original multilight steel casement windows. The roof is cross- gabled and clad with asphalt shingles. Covered porches are located on the front façade and in the rear of the house in the bedroom side.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 is considered historically significant as a contributor to the Medlock Place Historic District. It is also on the Phoenix Historic Property Register. The former acknowledges the property’s association with early community planning and development and the house’s embodiment of an early twentieth century architectural style and distinctive type of construction. The City’s register also acknowledges the local historic significance of the property and includes a special design review process in order to evaluate alterations that could detrimentally impact the historic integrity of the house and the property’s contribution to the historic district.
The Medlock Place Historic District is located west of Central Avenue and north of Camelback Road (figure 1). Encompassing 215 properties, the Medlock Place Historic District includes portions of six subdivisions that developed between the years of 1926 and 1956. One of these subdivisions is named South Orangewood.
Figure 1. Medlock Place Historic District. City of Phoenix Historic Preservation Office.
Arizona Historical Research E. Stuart Howard House History Page 1
South Orangewood, like all subdivisions in this area with the appellation “Orangewood,” is a spinoff from the Orangewood subdivision of 1895, located between 7th Street and 7th Avenue and Bethany Home and Northern Avenue. Prior its creation in 1937, South Orangewood was part of Evans’ Addition to Orangewood (figure 2). This latter subdivision, platted in 1897, is located directly south of Orangewood and consisted of the entire square mile between Camelback and Bethany Home Roads and 7th Street and 7th Avenues.
Figure 2. Evans’ Addition to Orangewood. Maricopa County Recorder’s Office.
In 1937, A. J. and Margaret Atwater hired surveyor F. N. Holmquist to subdivide the east half of Lots 17,
18, and 19 in Block 2 of Evans’ Addition into three blocks of eight lots, separated by 60-foot wide roads.
With the survey complete in June, the Atwaters recorded the South Orangewood plat with Maricopa
The subdivision came with a number of restrictions the first being on race. The only non-Caucasians allowed were domestic servants. There were also requirements on setbacks (30 to 40 feet) and home
1 “South Orangewood,” Book of Maps (Phoenix: Maricopa County Recorder’s Office, 1937), 25:12.
Arizona Historical Research E. Stuart Howard House History Page 2
County in July (figure 3).
size (1,000 square feet or more). Sanitariums, hospitals, and all commercial operations were banned, as were distilleries, breweries, saloons and brothels. However, only the race restrictions were in effect
Born in Monte Cristo, Washington, Edward Stuart Howard, Jr. earned a degree at Washington State University where he was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity of the Kappa Psi, the national medical fraternity. After serving in WWI in France, he moved to Phoenix in 1926. Four years later, on June 21,
Frances Baker Walton was a teacher at the Saint Francis School in Tuckaho, Virginia. She had family in Phoenix at the time, including her uncle Walter Mitchell who was the local bishop in the Episcopal Church, and likely met Stuart during a visit. When they married, the service was conducted by Bishop
When the couple married, Stuart was working as secretary at the St. Luke Home, an early version of St. Luke’s Hospital. Then he partnered briefly at the Weldon-Howard Insurance Agency. In addition to moving between jobs, he frequently moved between homes, but stayed close to the central corridor.
2 “Memorandum of Restrictions,” Book of Miscellaneous (1937), 54:530; “Warranty Deed,” Book of Deeds (1937), 312:134. 3 “Stuart Howard Dies; Long-Time Druggist,” Arizona Republic, 27 August 1965, 52; “Marriage Certificate,” Maricopa County
along Vermont Avenue. In August, the Atwaters sold Lot 1, Block 3 to E. Stuart Howard.
1930, “Stuart” married Frances.
Figure 3. South Orangewood. Maricopa County Recorder's Office.
Mitchell and the couple remained longtime members of the congregation.
Marriage Records (Phoenix: Arizona History and Archives Division, 1930), 267.
Fourteenth Census of the United States, 1920 and Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930. Washington, D.C.: National
Archives and Records Administration, 1930
Arizona Historical Research E. Stuart Howard House History Page 3
After they married, Frances joined him in these moves, finally setting roots at the property on Oregon
Though it is unclear who designed the home, according to family members, Mexican laborers built the house, and construction of the home likely began shortly after the purchase of the lot. Work was still underway that November when local real estate agent Marvin H. Young used it as a model while selling lots in the South
Though the reason is unclear, Stuart owned the Lot 1 Block 3 as his sole property. In fact, before the purchase was complete, Frances acknowledged her ownership status in a disclaimer stating that she was no doing as a gift but to show “clearly of record” that her husband owned the entire interest in the lot. Having sole ownership was not uncommon for investment properties, but it does not appear that was the intent of the purchase. It also does not appear that Stuart owned any other property, nor that Frances had sole ownership of any real estate. Stuart’s sole ownership also
does not appear to have made a difference since the couple moved into the house as soon as it was completed and remained
On August 19, 1941, Frances gave birth to Llewellyn Reynolds Howard at St. Joseph’s hospital. On the birth certificate, it lists Frances as a housewife and Stuart’s occupation as “ill.”8 There is no information as to what ailed Stuart, but the city directory for that year does not list an employer. It is possible that he was out of work with an illness at the time of Llew’s birth. Later, Stuart is employed at the Six Points
Figure 5. Wayland’s McKinley Pharmacy, 1950, two years before it became Howard’s McKinley Pharmacy (left) and how it appeared in 2017 (right). Arizona Republic and Google, Inc.
5 Phoenix City and Salt River Valley Directory (Phoenix: Arizona Directory Company, 1929), 355, (1931), 331, (1932), 223 (1935), 227 (1937), 257,
6 Adobe Walls Used In Home,” Arizona Republic, 24 October 1937, 2.6, “Advertisement,” 7 November 1937, 4.4.
7 “Disclaimer,” Book of Miscellaneous (1937), 54:531.
8 “Standard Certificate of Birth, Bureau of Vital Statistics,
9 Phoenix City Directory (Phoenix: Arizona Directory Company, 1941), 241, (1945), 285, (1948), 339, and (1951), 1747.
Avenue in late 1937. Along the way, Stuart also settled into his lifetime vocation as a pharmacist.
Figure 4. Frances Howard, ca. 1936. Arizona Republic.
there for the rest of their respective lives.
Pharmacy near the fairgrounds and the Sun Drug Store in downtown Phoenix.
Arizona Historical Research E. Stuart Howard House History Page 4
In 1946, Stuart mortgaged the property on Oregon Avenue to Frances’s Uncle Walter for $3,500. Diligent research was unable to locate a record of the satisfaction of the mortgage—or what the money was used for—but Stuart took out a new mortgage in 1952 around the same time he purchased Wayland’s McKinley Pharmacy at 138 W. McKinley Street (figure 5). So, it is possible the Mitchell loan was also
W. Roy Wayland had opened the pharmacy in 1950 at the then-new McKinley Medical Center. It was one of two pharmacies operating under the Wayland’s Pharmacy brand at the time; the other was at the Professional Building that Wayland helped finance in 1932. Wayland eventually sold out to Walgreen’s in 1957 but Stuart continued to operate his Howard’s McKinley Pharmacy until he passed away in 1965. After his death, the pharmacy was not mentioned in the estate, but Frances inherited the home along with a 1955 Chrysler 300 and the remaining mortgage of $2,600 that she paid off in 1973. When she
An only child, Llew grew up in the house on Oregon Avenue and was quite popular. In high school, she was active in the Parnassus Club, Solo Deo, Tri-Hi-Y, Junior Civic Opera Guild and was a model and a
I definitely consider the requirements for graduation too easy. It is far too simple to get by with a passing average. More years of math, science, and foreign language should be required. Preparing for college should start in grade school and continue through high school. It is
After high school, Llew attended the University of Arizona where she was active in the Student Union Activities Board and a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority (figure 6). She graduated in 1964 with a degree in Education. Eight years later, she married Lynn Goodman. After the death of her mother, the couple moved into the house on Oregon Avenue. Lynn was employed in the restaurant business, working at a number of places in the Valley. In June 1982, the couple mortgaged the property for $50,000 to acquire the Quarterback Club at
The Quarterback Club had been known by various names over the years. A former residence, during the 1960s, the place had been a Fred Astaire Dance Studio, and a couple of cocktail lounges called the Big Stick and the Bucket. In the 1970s, it was an office complex for most of the decade before becoming another bar called the Characters in the 1970s. After the Characters folded, it was destined to become a sports
10 “Realty Mortgage,” Book of Mortgages (1946), 389:455-456; “Mortgage,” Docket (1952), 996:209-211.
11 “Advertisement,” Arizona Republic, 21 January 1951, 2 and “Walgreen Drug Stores Buys Roy Wayland Pharmacies,” 3 February 1957, 2.13, “Stuart Howard Dies; Long-Time Druggist,” 27 August 1965, 52; “Frances Howard,” 19 July 1977, B13. “Decree Settling First and Final Account and Report and Decree of Distribution of Estate,” Docket (1967), 6488:566-569 and “Satisfaction of Mortgage,” (1973), 9960:319.
12 “St. Luke’s Board of Visitors Selects Flower Girls,” Arizona Republic, 16 November 1958, 6.7.
13 “The Republic’s Teenage Quiz,” Arizona Republic, 10 April 1958, 10.
14 Desert (Tucson: University of Arizona Associated Students, 1961), 37, 187, 318 and (1962), 122; “Advertisement,” Arizona Republic, 19 January 1976, B-22; “Judgement,” Docket (1981) 15664: 108-111, “Deed of Trust and/or Conveyance of Rents,” (1982), 16083:531-541 and “List of Creditors,” 16093:1301.
used for that purpose with a previous pharmacy.
died four years later, Llew inherited the property.
journalist Earl Zarbin about the requirements for graduating from high school in Arizona, she stated:
beauty pageant contestant.
Llew also knew the importance of a good education. When quizzed by
necessary to have these requirements in order to establish a higher standard of living.
Figure 6. Llew in 1962. University of Arizona.
138 W. Camelback Road.
Arizona Historical Research E. Stuart Howard House History Page 5
bar called the Quarterback Club until the business was acquired by the Goodmans.
Lynn used his experience to convert the sports bar into a casino-themed venue called the Cordial House. It seemed to be an ideal scenario; the place was located a short distance from the house and allowed him to be home with Llew and their three children during the day and work at the lounge at night. However, the Cordial House would be a short-lived venture for the Goodman family. On the early morning of August 19, 1982, Lynn confronted an armed man in a ski mask. Forced at gunpoint to lay on the floor, the robber shot Lynn before leaving the establishment with $650 from the cash register and
$50 from Lynn’s wallet.
Figure 7. Lynn (left) and Llew and the children, 1982: Lisa, 4, Christina, 22 months, and Kevin, 5. Arizona Republic.
The bullet, one of two fired, hit Lynn in the buttocks but travelled up his back and lodged in his chest cavity. When it happened Lynn was unaware of his injury until the police arrived and noticed the wound.
Lynn was hospitalized for a couple weeks and then returned home to continue his recovery. He had been home for about three weeks when he became week and was hospitalized again. Lynn soon succumbed to the wound and passed away at Good Samaritan Hospital on October 5, 1982, leaving Llew with three young children and a $50,000 mortgage
After Lynn’s death, friends and colleagues rallied to help out the family. Some volunteered their time working at the Cordial House while others put together a fund raiser on October 24. In February, the mortgage was paid in full. Llew lost her husband and the children lost their father, but they did not lose the house. Eventually, the children grew up and moved out. Llew stayed in the house until moving recently into a patio home with her daughter Lisa.
The E. Stuart Howard House is unique in both its construction and its history. Exposed adobe is an uncommon construction material and there are few examples of it in the Salt River Valley dating from the time of this house’s construction. There are also few homes in the valley owned by the same family for eight decades. This latter fact provides a special significance to the home and an additional reason for its preservation.
15 “Advertisement,” Arizona Republic, 6 March 1962, 30, 1 December 1962, 42, 9 January 1965, 64, 2 January 1977, P7, “Intruder apprehended inside bar,” 17 January 1979, B10.
16 “Phoenix bar owner Shot during holdup,” Arizona Republic, 20 August 1963, D2.
17 “Lynn Goodman,” Arizona Republic, 7 October 1982, C4.
against the house.
Arizona Historical Research E. Stuart Howard House History Page 6
Type your paragraph here.
LLEW IN 1962 - 'PHOTO; 'University.of Arizona here.
FRANCES HOWARD. 1936- Arizona Republic
Type your paragraph here.